The Dangerous Animals Course run by The Nature College has evolved over the last couple of years to give learners a very sound basis from which to gain experience with dangerous animals and to deal safely and effectively with such animals. In association with Bhejane Nature Training we offer the new Zulu Rangers Bush Walk Phase 1 course.
The Zulu Rangers Bush Walk Phase 1 Course is an introductory trails guiding programme that is aimed at entry level trails guides that need to obtain the necessary legal qualifications to conduct guided bush walks in a reserve with potentially dangerous game. On this programme you will be assessed against the Cathsseta Nature Site Guide Dangerous Animals Skills Programme.
The Zulu Rangers Bush Walk Phase 1 Programme is ideal for any guide that wishes to conduct short guided bush walks with guests in areas with potentially dangerous game. The Qualification covers knowledge and skills required for:
- Competent handle and use of heavy calibre guiding rifles.
- Rifle ballistics, Maintenance and Care, and Rifle Handling Ethics.
- Situational awareness for conducting trails and walks on foot with guests in wilderness areas where dangerous game occur.
- Navigation and Orientation Skills.
- In depth knowledge of Africa’s large herbivores and predators.
- Field skills for tracking and observing potentially dangerous game.
- Trails Guiding principles and ethics.
- Guest safety.
- Team work and communication skills required by Lead and Back-up Guiding Teams.
Although much of the theory content is similar, this programme differs from the FGASA Trails Guide programme in that it is a much shorter programme that it is recommended for guides wishing to do occasional bush walks, not necessarily with the intent of approaching dangerous game, but that has been adequately trained in the event of a chance encounter. It is ideal for guides that do not wish to specialise in extensive Wilderness Trails, but would like to just meet minimum legal requirements for short bush walks with guests.
- 21 Days
Course Fees 2019
- R29 500
- 29 April – 19 May 2019
- 17 June – 7 July 2019
- 8 July – 28 July 2019
- 29 July – 18 August 2019
- 2 – 22 September 2019
- 14 Oct – 3 Nov 2019
Included in the Course Fee
- All meals and accommodation.
- Bhejane Shirt and Cap.
- PFTC and ARH Training and Assessment.
- Training Manuals.
- Rifle Hire and Ammunition.
- VPDA Assessment.
Excluded in the Course Fee
- Personal Gear and Equipment.
- Prescribed Reference Books.
- Meals on off days.
- Excess ammunition if you exceed the allocated practice / assessment rounds.
- PFTC Knowledge of the Firearms Control Act.
- PFTC Handle and Use of Manually Operated Rifle for Personal Purposes.
- PFTC Handle and Use of Manually Operated Rifle for Business Purposes.
- Zulu Rangers Firearm Training Proficiency Certification.
- View Potentially Dangerous Game (Cathsseta/Nature College) if all requirements were met.
- Nature Site Guide NQF 2.
- Valid and up to date First Aid.
- Good level of Physical and Mental Fitness.